Elephant Ears

This blog is dedicated to the political happenings in the Valley and Southwest Virginia. As the the name implies, this blog will have posts based on what is heard by this elephant's (GOPer's) ears. It is also a great treat to get while at the county fair or a carnival.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

My Take on the Allen Scandal

Basically I think it was probably a badly chosen word, but I doubt he meant anything by it. Kudos to George for giving an apology: "Allen said, "I never want to embarrass or demean anyone, and I apologize if my comments offended this young man"

My big question is that if some democrat would have said this, would anyone care or would the media ever make a big deal out of it?

Also, now people are trying to suggest anything and everything from his comments. Saying "in the real world, not inside the beltway" does not mean "out here where the black don't live" but is more like "out here where the liberals aren't in the majority 80-1."

At any rate, if this "scandal" results in anything that makes a serious difference in the Senate race, it would greatly surprise me.

8 Comments:

  • At 8/16/2006 9:36 PM, Blogger James Young said…

    I think you're right. Tempest in a teapot. Webb will probably have to KILL to get this much attention in late October.

     
  • At 8/16/2006 9:49 PM, Blogger Dvt guy said…

    Has a democrat ever said anything like this to anyone's face? Has any politician in recent memory said anything like this to someone's face?

    It's one thing to make stupid jokes. It's another to ridicule someone to their face. I think that's the point that you folks are missing here...

     
  • At 8/16/2006 11:03 PM, Blogger GOPHokie said…

    VC, I dont know if anyone has or not b/c no one would tell us if they did.
    As I say, had the tables been turned I doubt there would be as big a deal made about this.

     
  • At 8/16/2006 11:43 PM, Blogger .... said…

    When Allen appologizes to the kid (who he called a N******) we'll talk but as of now he has just done so to the press... Truly Gross. Shows he doesnt care about what he said at all, nor does he care that it offended so many people.

     
  • At 8/17/2006 10:03 AM, Blogger zen said…

    When someone shifts the fault and responsiblity to the victim, it is most definately NOT an apology. An apology accepts personal responsibility for one's own actions.

    Allen obviously doesn't feel that he did anything wrong, so why even attempt to apologize?

     
  • At 8/18/2006 7:22 AM, Blogger Megan said…

    James, the word is nigger...
    say it with me NIGGER....

    Don't be afraid, James...it's just a word...just like REDNECK.

     
  • At 8/18/2006 7:32 AM, Blogger GOPHokie said…

    James, how long did it take to figure out what Allen said was "offensive".
    I ask that simply b/c if you have to study film and look up all the words you don't know on wikipedia to see if any of them are bad, then my guess is whatever was said didn't truly offend you.

    If someone called me a "macaca" before Tuesday, I wouldn't have been offended b/c I wouldnt know what the hell they just called me.

    Maybe I just have thicker skin being called a racist/bigot/homophobe all the time.

     
  • At 8/18/2006 9:22 AM, Blogger zen said…

    "Republican Senator [and] possible '08 presidential candidate George Allen of Virginia... was pointing out that his opponent in the Senate race, James Webb had sent someone to videotape all of George Allen's appearances. Which is not a very nice thing to do because George Allen says some really stupid shit. Like, 'Let's all welcome macaca over here to America.' Although in Allen's defense, he didn't know that the gentleman was already a citizen and didn't need to be welcomed to America, or that his name wasn't 'macaca.' I think Allen just assumed the gentleman looked macaca-ish."
    ---Jon Stewart

     

Post a Comment

<< Home