Elephant Ears

This blog is dedicated to the political happenings in the Valley and Southwest Virginia. As the the name implies, this blog will have posts based on what is heard by this elephant's (GOPer's) ears. It is also a great treat to get while at the county fair or a carnival.

Monday, October 10, 2005

Losing the Sign Wars

I was just wondering if anyone out there has noticed this. I don't really remember past elections, so maybe this always happens; but this year we are getting creamed in the sign wars.
Don't forget, thats in the Valley and SWVA (I don't know how the rest of the state is).
Everywhere I go, there are many more dem signs than ours (especially big signs along main roads).

Folks, I realize elections are not determined by signs alone, but they do make a difference. I ask that everyone out there get signs up wherever possible (ask permission of course), especially on main arteries of transportation. We need our guys to get sign exposure. Its alot cheaper than TV ads and also don't want to lose the votes of people who say "well I've seen a bunch of signs for x so I'm gonna vote for him".
I don't know if its the fault of the local parties, or if we just never have as many signs out there, but we need to try to get more if at all possible.
Does anyone else see this happening, or am I just driving on the wrong roads all the time?

6 Comments:

  • At 10/11/2005 3:51 AM, Blogger Politicl.Animal said…

    I invite any Republican who is curious to test new heartburn medication to take a sign tour of the 20th district coming up Rt. 11 to Staunton, driving around Staunton (don't miss Wright's Dairy!), heading out Rt. 250 west to Churchville, then south on Rt. 42 through Craigsville.

    If your new medication can handle the heartburn our signs will create, it's great stuff.

    But I do agree with GOPHokie, signs don't win elections. At best they increase name recognition; at worst they drive up opposition turnout.

     
  • At 10/11/2005 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    An old rule I first heard twenty years ago: Your opponents signs are always more numerous and in better locations. The opponent's radio ads always get better play, and he or she gets more letters to the editor--its a standard and often false perception resulting from your intense scrutiny. Chill. You are probably doing fine. Don't relax, but don't hyperventilate!

     
  • At 10/11/2005 8:51 AM, Blogger GOPHokie said…

    Anon, I base the signage on numbers.
    When driving down 460 in Christiansburg, for instance, there are 3 Kaine 4x4's plus a few more yard signs.
    There is one Kilgore sign toward BBurg and there is one group of GOP signs on the other side of CBurg, which says it is the Republican Headquaters.
    Back home, I see 0 GOP signs and a few Kaine.

     
  • At 10/11/2005 8:52 AM, Blogger GOPHokie said…

    Maybe this weekend when I come home it will be better.

     
  • At 10/12/2005 11:44 AM, Blogger Politicl.Animal said…

    Curiousity being what it is ... what is home, GOPHokie?

     
  • At 10/12/2005 12:58 PM, Blogger GOPHokie said…

    Somewhere in the Valley, north of Augusta County.
    A few people who post on here think they know where I live though.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home