Elephant Ears

This blog is dedicated to the political happenings in the Valley and Southwest Virginia. As the the name implies, this blog will have posts based on what is heard by this elephant's (GOPer's) ears. It is also a great treat to get while at the county fair or a carnival.

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Lying

I think some folks out in the blogosphere need a lesson on lying.
Lying is telling something that you know to be untrue. This is different from an untruth.
Virginia Tech won the national football title in 1999 is a lie. I know that didn't happen. Virginia Tech will win the NC State football game on Sept 4th (if they don't win) is an untruth. I didn't say it knowing I was wrong.
Some of you out there seem to think I am lying about stuff about campaigns. I can assure everyone that I am not. I cannot guarantee it is the truth, and when I can't I say so.
If I said I know the poll results that the Lohr campaign took, I would be lying b/c I have no idea what they are. If I say I have heard Lohr is down them, it may or may not be an untruth, but its not a lie. I have heard that he is down, but I cannot substantiate it one way or the other.

By the way, to you Bush haters out there, this applies to the war too. Bush claims intel said Iraq had WMD. They were not found. That does not mean George W. lied. He told an untruth, but according to him, he was told Iraq had WMD (the CIA director said it was a slam dunk, the same CIA director under Clinton).
How about Mark Warner and the budget. That is the big issue right now, did he BS the numbers to lie about the budget, or did he honestly think we were going to lose our AAA rating?There is the difference. When a politican lies its bad. When a politican tells an untruth, its not as bad.

15 Comments:

  • At 8/28/2005 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow!

    Talk about nuancing self-justification for dis-honesty. Talk about parsing words.

    That's o.k.?

    I guess it all comes down to what your definition of "is" is........

    Self deception is one of the worst sins, for if you cannot be honest with yourself, you will not be honest with others........

     
  • At 8/28/2005 7:38 PM, Blogger P-Zan Leong said…

    A politician should be sure of his facts.

     
  • At 8/28/2005 9:43 PM, Blogger GOPHokie said…

    Thanks for the kind words bizarro.
    I appreciate it.

     
  • At 8/29/2005 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The following is in response to GOPHokie's posts on this subject from both here and on the republitarian site........

    gophokie says:
    "I am not coming on here saying this stuff bc someone told me too. I am telling what I know. If thats not true, I can't help that."

    No dear boy, you are not telling what you know, you are merely repeating what you've heard.

    Kind of the difference between "gospel truth" and "gossip"

    If Chicken Little runs through the barnyard screaming, "The sky is falling!!!!" Will gophokie begin running and screaming the same thing?

    According to gophokie:
    "I am telling what I know. If thats not true, I can't help that."

    Yes Mr. GOPHokie, you can help it.
    If you hear a lie, it's not your fault that you heard it, but if you repeat the lie as something you "know" then it becomes yours and then you share responsibility for the spreading of the lie.

    The Bible calls it "Bearing false witness."

    The Random House Dictionary:
    un-truth---something untrue, as a lie.

    GOPHokie, you cannot make up your own definition of lying, you have to live with the same one that everyone else does.............

     
  • At 8/30/2005 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    so what I guess your trying to say here is that George Bush's "lie" was ok, while Mark Warner's "lie" is unaccepatable...wow, I do hope you learn something while in college.

     
  • At 8/30/2005 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    speaking of which my young college right winger, why don't you just put down those books, and leave those evil liberal professors behind for while. doesn't a desert in the middle east call you? or will you be like you right wing hereos: Cheney (stuendt defferments) Limbaugh (cist on his ass), Bush (lost)

     
  • At 8/30/2005 2:14 PM, Blogger GOPHokie said…

    I never said Warner's "lie" was unacceptable. Thats the whole point. If he knew the budget was going to get better and covered it up, he lied. If he honestly didn't know and the money just rolled in anyway, then its not his fault.
    By the way, our professors aren't that liberal, especially me since I am in business.
    I have never wanted to be in the military, but I will gladly go if drafted.
    Go ahead, hammer me for not being in the military, I have heard it plenty of times before.
    I appreciate what each and every veteran has done for this country, but supporting a war is different from wanting to be in the military.
    I wouldn't have wanted to be in the military in WW2 either, but I supported the war and would have went had I been drafted.
    I know you folks don't understand that, but thats the way I feel.

     
  • At 8/30/2005 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    gophokie - while a student at tech, i suggest you enroll in U.S. history 101 - comparing ww2 (or anythign about it) to Iraq is well, dead wrong.

     
  • At 8/30/2005 5:36 PM, Blogger Megan said…

    Brandon,
    What to you call Audrey Berkshire telling the newspaper Matt was in California on a business trip and then going on Candid Comment and saying that she had him scheduled at a campaign event? Mmmmm?

    Don't beat around the bush.

     
  • At 9/01/2005 8:28 PM, Blogger GOPHokie said…

    I would consider that a lie. She knew she was wrong when she said it (which ever one was false).

     
  • At 9/01/2005 8:30 PM, Blogger GOPHokie said…

    By the way anon, in the context of my statement, WW2 was the best war I could use. It fit the best.

     
  • At 9/01/2005 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    the last gophokie statement says it all.... when he said "it fit the best".... this is what we've come to depend on from your group brandon. "the best war I could use"???? brandon, you make me sick. how many of your classmates or their parents from the class of '03 at bhs who went into the military can you look in the face and tell that story to?????

     
  • At 9/03/2005 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Been a month, no answer brandon? Guess you and Matthew have much in common........

     
  • At 9/03/2005 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A month of claims with no verification. A month of statements that are lies. A month of dancing around direct quetions. This has been a big, and bad, month for your boy. Why won't you answer? Why brandon do you change the subject?

     
  • At 9/04/2005 12:29 PM, Blogger GOPHokie said…

    What do you guys want an answer on?
    I haven't been home so if it happened recently, I probably don't know about it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home